Friday, March 7, 2008

Last Weekend Queens with Bubby


Last weekend Craig and I went to Queens to visit my Bubby (grandma in Yiddish) and the baby's Great Bubby to take her out to dinner for her birthday. She just turned 88 years old and is the most independent, active woman I know.

Before we went to Queens we stopped at YaYa's (grandma in Greek) nursing home to tell her our news. YaYa has Alzheimers Disease and has trouble recognizing her family. She had trouble understanding at first, but when I stood up to show YaYa my belly, I think she understood that I was having a baby and she was going to be a Great YaYa for the first time. When we left, I got the biggest hug and she had the nicest smile on her face as we left the room.

When we got to Bubby's, she had the table set up for brunch for Craig, Lionel and I. Lionel ate very well this weekend thanks to Bubby sharing her bagel, cream cheese and lox with him. After Bubby stuffed our faces with food we went to shopping for maternity clothes. Bubby took me to Pea in the Pod where she took my mom for her maternity clothes. The sales woman had me try on half the store and I walked out with my first pair of maternity jeans and three shirts. Bubby insisted to buy the clothes and agreed that we could take her out for dinner. It was a tough battle but Bubby final caved in and agreed to let her grandchildren take her out to dinner. We stopped at the Knobler's house to visit my RaRa (my aunt), Uncle Howie and Shari. Ira and his girlfriend Debra came back to Bubby's where we met Chris before then all went to dinner. We had a great weekend with Bubby and as we left, decided we should definately do it more often.