Thursday, July 17, 2008

Decisions.. Decisions

Craig and I just did some research on inducement and found that:

  • 40-50% of inductions fail and either result in the woman being sent home or ending up in the operating room for a cesarean section. In fact, 44% of those who are induced end up with a cesarean, as opposed to only 8% of those who start labor spontaneously.
  • In addition, certain techniques, including Pitocin can cause strong contractions and can occasionally hyperstimulate the uterus, which can stress your baby.

I also spoke to Melly Bonita who did a lot of research on her own and told me about her personal experience and encouraged me to think twice about getting induced so quickly. She recommended waiting at least a week to see if the labor will start on it's own.

I'm going to take Melly's advice and wait at least a week (one week past my due date). This is the longest my Dr and Brigham and Womens hospital will let a women go past her due date. I said from the beginning that delivering vaginally is very important to to me so why increase the chances of having a c section. I'm going to call my Dr tomorrow and let him know that I want to put it off a week.