Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Welcome Karter!







Hi Everyone - this is Craig making my first post on the blog! As my first official post, I knew it would have to be a good one, and I think this announcement qualifies!

Karter Joseph Maslowsky was born yesterday morning, July 21, at 4:41am. He was 8lbs 12 oz and 20.5 inches long. He made quite an entrance too - I think the entire hospital heard him letting us know he was out!

Everything was set into motion Sunday morning. We had a false alarm and headed to the hospital, just to be sent home because we were told Danielle was barely dilated and basically that this wasn't going to happen on it's own too soon. For this reason, we were pretty confused when Danielle started having contractions. By 10pm Danielle was having regular, and pretty painful, contractions every 3-4 minutes and we knew this was the real thing. The doctor finally believed me after the 3rd call that day and we headed in.

At the hospital, we were told that things had progressed throughout the day and the doctor recommended we get things started and "augment the labor", or accelerate the process. I'll let Danielle give you the specifics, since she's the one who experienced it first hand, but it was quite a ride. Danielle did an unbeleivable job and worked so hard Sunday night into Monday morning. I was very proud of how she handled the whole situation and how well she did. From my perspective, it was scary, exciting, emotional, and surreal all at the same time.

The end result was everything we had hoped for though, and Karter is an amazing little guy and in our eyes (and I think his grandparents and aunts and uncles too) he's the most perfect baby we've ever seen. We can't wait for you all to see what we mean first hand, but you can start with the pictures I've included.

Thanks for all of your advice and support along the way. We hope to see you soon!